Ryan DeCoons, M.D.
Orthopaedic Surgery / Sports Medicine
Dr. Ryan DeCoons will be leaving Piedmont Orthopaedic Complex this summer in order to move closer to family. We wish Dr. DeCoons and his family the best in their future endeavors! More details about Dr. DeCoons's Departure.
- Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery
- A.B. from Princeton University in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
- Earned an M.D. from the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School at University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Prestigious Fellowship in Sports Medicine at UHZ Sports Medicine Institute at the Doctor’s Hospital in Coral Gables, FL
- Served as team physician for Florida International University, the Florida Panthers (NHL), Miami-Dade Public Schools (2012-2013)
After graduating from Princeton University with a degree in Biology, Dr. Ryan DeCoons earned a medical degree from the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. He completed his internship and residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, followed by a Fellowship in Sports Medicine at the UHZ Sports Medicine Institute at Doctor’s Hospital in Coral Gables, Florida.
During his fellowship, Dr. DeCoons served as an assistant team physician at Florida International University and for the Florida Panthers (NHL), and as a team physician for Miami-Dade Public Schools.
Between 2005 and 2009, Dr. DeCoons taught or assisted with various medical courses at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. In 2012, he assisted in teaching introductory orthopaedics to medical students at the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine at Florida International University.
Between 2008 and 2009, he completed research at the McKay Orthopaedic Research Laboratory at the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. DeCoons is a member of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He has collaborated on research presented at a variety of orthopaedic society meetings, including the Eastern Orthopaedic Association, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, the Orthopaedic Research Society, and the Florida Orthopaedic Society.
Piedmont Orthopaedic is thrilled to welcome Dr. Ryan DeCoons to the Piedmont staff in September of 2013.